The Big Merino
Hume Street Corner of Sowerby Street
Goulburn NSW 2580
Phone: (02) 4822 8013
The Big Merino, built in 1985 is a monument to Goulburn and the surrounding district’s fine wool industry. Standing 15.2 meters high, 18 meters long and weighing 97 tones at the time of construction he is an impressive life-like model of Rambo, a stud Ram from a local property, “Bullamallita”.
A permanent exhibition from Australian Wool Innovation depicting the 200 year history of wool in Australia which is housed in the Big Merino structure. Marshall Judd was commissioned to construct the under belly and three new legs representing a more complete, free standing model than previously shown. As a result Rambo now weighs in at around 100 tons.
Revisit the grandeur of a bygone era in Australia's first inland city. Established in 1833, Goulburn is less than three hours drive south of Sydney and less than two hours drive from the NSW South Coast.
Take a walk around Goulburn and admire the town's well-preserved architecture, surrounded by grazing land. For panoramic views across the rolling Goulburn region head to the Rocky Hill Lookout at the top of the War Memorial.
A visit to the white sandstone St Saviour’s Cathedral is a must. Built around the old St Saviour's Church from 1874 to 1884, it was designed by one of Australia's most well known architects, Edmund T. Blackett. Take a tour of the restored St Saviour’s belltower if you have the time. Also worth a visit is the traditional gothic Sts Peter and Paul’s Old Cathedral, completed in 1890.
Australia's oldest surviving brewery, the Old Goulburn Brewery, is well worth a visit. There are guided tours available, and the Old Goulburn Brewery Hotel is open daily. On the fourth Saturday of each month the brewery holds a craft market.
Goulburn is also home to the oldest theatre company in Australia, Lieder Theatre Company, established in 1891. Based in the Lieder Theatre, built in 1929, the company runs a year-round program of critically-acclaimed productions.
Rail buffs will love the Rail Heritage Centre at the old Roundhouse, which displays the historic transition from steam to diesel operation, as well as the old steam engines at the Historic Waterworks facility, the only complete, workable, steam powered municipal water supply left in its original location in the southern hemisphere.